Today’s Reading : Psalms 96: 1-6
“For great is the LORD and most worthy of praise” Ps 96:4
I wonder how often you have thought or said any of the following when we gather together to worship on a Sunday evening or at life group:
• I wasn’t really feeling it today
• I’m not really in the mood to worship
• I couldn’t really worship as I didn’t know the songs
If you have ever said or felt like this or similar, then you have made worship about YOU and not God.
I love this quote by Eugene Peterson “Worship is the strategy by which we interrupt our preoccupation with ourselves and attend to the presence of God.”
As we have seen, God often will do amazing things while we worship - fighting our battles, bringing breakthrough - but worship is primarily all about giving glory to God.
In this psalm we can see some reasons to praise God – what are they? What aspects of the character of God makes Him deserving of our praise – his love, his forgiveness, his power, his mercy, his faithfulness ….? Why not brainstorm by yourself, or as a couple or family, and write down as many words as you can that describe God’s character.
• Pray together thanking God for who He is – use your list!
• Repent of the times when you have made it about ‘you’ rather than about Him
• Sing along to a worship song about who God is e.g. “Father to me”; “Goodness of God”
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!