Today’s Reading : John 12: 1-7
“Then Mary took a twelve-ounce jar of expensive perfume made from essence of nard, and she anointed Jesus’ feet with it, wiping his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance.” Jn 12:3
This story is one of the most beautiful examples of worship in the bible. What can we learn from Mary’s extravagant act of worship?
• It was undignified – can you imagine the state of her hair, all over the place wiping oil onto the feet of Jesus – not very ladylike, and the people watching on were so critical – but she didn’t care what she looked like or what other people thought of her. Are you concerned about your appearance or what people think or are you ready to be an undignified worshipper?
• It was costly – this was expensive perfume. She didn’t just pour a bit out on Jesus’ feet. In Mark’s version of this story (Mark 14) we are told she broke the jar – she used it all, she poured out everything. Do we hold back? Or do we pour out everything for Him?
• It made an impact – ‘The fragrance filled the whole house’ – when we worship extravagantly, we can change the atmosphere of our home, our church, our community and our nation.
• Think about what holds you back as a worshipper? Is it the fear of man?
• What might extravagant worship look like for you – in the way you praise God when we come together at church, in the way you pour yourself out in giving your time, your finances, your gifts and talents?
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!