Today’s Reading : 2 Timothy 3: 14-17
“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work” 2 Tm 3: 16-17
Earlier in this chapter, Paul is warning Timothy about worldly ways of living, succumbing to pride, love of money and falling away from the Truth during times of persecution and deceit. But in the midst of this, he is telling us how we remain strong, how we remain true to God.
There are many places we can go to these days for answers, to gain perspective or for guidance on how to navigate the world around us: Facebook, the media, Google, the people around us. Everything we read, watch or listen to will have an influence on our views and values, impact the way we think of ourselves and those around us and sometimes even what we think of God. It can be a scary place to try and find ourselves, let alone to try and discern what is Truth and what is untruth.
But God in His wisdom has not left us drifting, lost in this murky sea of contradiction and lies. He has given us His Word. It is in the Word that we find His unchanging Truth.
• It is The Word that is our measuring stick for what is correct and what is not, for what paths lead to righteousness and what paths lead to destruction.
• It is in The Word that we will be sharpened, challenged, moulded into the people He has called us to be.
• It is in The Word that we are equipped for the good works He has prepared for us to walk in.
• It is in The Word that we find our identity, our purpose and Godly direction that keeps us walking straight.
• Write out your favourite verse and stick it on the fridge. What does it tell you about God? About you? How does it encourage you or challenge you to love differently?