TODAY’S READING: Ephesians 5:8-14
"For you were once darkness, bur now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord." EPH 5:8-10
Carole and I were hiking in Madeira where they have these amazing irrigation channels called ‘levadas’ which make the island one of the most verdant places on earth. Flora and fauna flourish everywhere because of these water channels. To carry the water through the mountains, long, narrow and dark tunnels were carved through the rock with a path alongside the water. As we entered the first of these, we realised we had forgotten a torch. I soon also realised that the ceilings were low and the walls were sharp and jagged. I went ahead getting my arms shredded and banging my head at regular intervals shouting behind me, “duck!” As we approached the next tunnel, I was not looking forward to a repeat when suddenly a brainwave hit me – my phone! We reached into the backpack took out our phones, activated the torch and glided happily through the tunnel without mishap. What a difference the light made!
Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “Just as darkness is the absence of light, evil is the absence of God.” In Lamentations 3:2 the prophet’s sadness was compounded by, “an absence of light and only darkness”. The light of Christ in us brings out beauty but also protects and guides us. Just as our phones did in the tunnels of Madeira, His light shows us the path and reveals the dangers to avoid. If we fill ourselves with the light through the daily reading of God’s Word and praying for His presence through the Holy Spirit, there are some significant benefits:
- The light produces good fruit. In Madeira we discovered that passion fruit wasn’t a fruit but a group of fruits! We tried purple, lemon, banana and pineapple passion fruit among other varieties! Our varieties of spiritual fruit are goodness, righteousness and truth. In the Greek, ‘goodness’ here means ‘generosity of spirit’, ‘righteousness’, ‘giving to men and to God that which is their due’, and ‘truth’ not just moral truth but a way of living.
- The light enables us to discriminate in our spirits between what pleases and displeases God. It is in the light of Christ that all our motives, actions and plans must be tested.
- The light exposes evil. Anything being done in secret continues and deepens but in the light of the day, it dies a natural death. The most thorough deep-clean of our lives is exposure to the light of Christ.
- Finally, Paul says, "Everything which is illuminated becomes light". The light of Jesus in our lives not only reveals but it also has a healing quality. If, like me, you have brought something into the light, you will know that everything seems to feel stronger, easier and better.
• Read Ephesians 5:8-14
• Pray for those you know who are walking in darkness. Contend for anyone who has backslidden and for your unsaved friends and family.
• Do two things: Firstly, let those from Action Step 2 know that you are praying for them. Secondly, consider speaking with a close friend about what is really happening in your life. Bring the truth into the light and see what God will do.